The 42nd International Thessaloniki Film Festival (9. - 18. 11.2001) is dedicating a special sidebar to German cinema. Under the banner of "New German Cinema" the festival, which numbers among the most important European film events for up-and-coming filmmakers, will be showing a total of five new German films which have already generated considerable attention at home and abroad:
- Sandra Nettelbeck's third feature film MOSTLY MARTHA (BELLA MARTHA) which has already shown with great success to audiences on the Piazza Grande in Locarno und at the Toronto Film Festival;
- I'LL WAIT ON YOU HAND AND FOOT (ICH WERDE DICH AUF HÄNDEN TRAGEN), Iain Dilthey's second film at the Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg, which, among other things, took part in the competition at Locarno;
- THE DAYS BETWEEN (IN DEN TAG HINEIN) by Maria Speth, a graduate of HFF "Konrad Wolf", who was awarded one of the renowned Tiger Awards of the Rotterdam Film Festival for this film;
- SILENT STORM (STILLER STURM), the debut film by Tomasz Thomson, which was first presented in Saarbrücken this year;
- Angela Schanelec's fourth feature film PASSING SUMMER (MEIN LANGSAMES LEBEN), which was premiered in the Forum of the Berlinale and will next be seen at the Pusan Festival after screenings at the Viennale, among other places.