The film that is going to represent Germany at the 92nd Oscars® in competition for International Feature Film will be announced on 21 August 2019. An independent jury will decide which film this will be after convening in Munich.
The following seven films were submitted by the German producers to German Films for consideration in selection:
- THE COLLINI CASE by Marco Kreuzpaintner (Constantin Film Produktion)
- ALL ABOUT ME by Caroline Link (UFA Fiction)
- THE GERMAN LESSON by Christian Schwochow (Senator Film Produktion, Network Movie Film- und Fernsehproduktion)
- HEIMAT IS A SPACE IN TIME by Thomas Heise (Ma.ja.de Filmproduktion)
- LARA by Jan Ole Gerster (Schiwago Filmproduktion)
- SYSTEM CRASHER by Nora Fingscheidt (Kineo Filmproduktion, Weydemann Bros.)
- SEALED LIPS by Bernd Böhlich (Mafilm Martens Film- und Fernsehproduktion)
Please note: This is not a shortlist compiled as the result of a pre-selection, but the submissions made by the rights holders without any pre-selection.
The German entry for the Oscar® in the International Feature Film category is decided by a selection committee appointed each year. This committee consists of representatives from eight different trade associations and institutions active in the field of German cinema. The following representatives were sent by the associations this year:
- German Producers Association: Christiane Sommer
- German Producers Alliance / Cinema Section Katharina Rinderle
- Association of German Film Exporters: Barbie Heusinger
- Association of German Film Distributors: Vincent de la Tour
- Association of German Exhibitors: Marion Closmann
- German Film Critics Association: Frédéric Jaeger
- German Directors Guild: Marie Noëlle Sehr
- German Film Academy: Thomas Wöbke, Anne Fabini
As the responsible umbrella organisation, German Films is charged with the preparation and organization of the selection procedure for the German candidate who will be entered into the race for the Oscar® in the International Feature Film category. German Films is not represented in the selection committee.
More information about the selection procedure can be found here.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) will announce the five nominated films in the International Feature Film category on 13 January 2020. The awards ceremony will be held in the Dolby Theater in Hollywood on 9 February 2020.